WELCOME TO MSMHC
The Congregation of Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, the first indigenous Congregation in North East India was founded on October 24, 1942, at Guwahati, Assam by His Excellency Stephen Ferrando, SDB, the then Bishop of Shillong. The Congregation has five provinces in India and a delegation in Italy. The provincial headquarters are at Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Shillong, Kolkata and Bangalore and the delegation headquarter is at Turin, Italy. It has 1078 members belonging to 53 ethnic groups working in 179 centres in India, 10 in Italy, 2 in South Africa, 1 in Hawaii and 1 in Sudan.
Sr. Philomina Mathew was elected as the Superior General on January 28, 2012, during the VIII General Chapter at MSMHC Generalate, Hatigaon, Guwahati. Sr. Philomina made her first commitment on 08 December 1978 and final commitment on 08 December 1983. The unassuming Sr. Philomina, known for her down-to-earth lifestyle and personal caliber, is the fourth Superior General of the Congregation founded in 1942. Sr. Philomina earned her Licentiate in Missiology at the Urbaniana Universtiy, Rome and a Doctorate in Missiology from St. Peter`s Pontifical Institute of Theology, Bangalore. The Superior General exercises her authority, assisted by her council, always in conformity with Canon Law and the Institute’s own law. Her main concern is to preserve the charism and spirit of the congregation and promote unity among the sisters.She serves the Congregation by animating, guiding, coordinating, inspiring and encouraging the sisters to be faithful to their vocation and mission. She provides leadership in the congregation. She is the guardian of the constitutions and traditions, and is the spokesperson of the congregation.
The members of the General Council closely collaborate with the Superior General in her work and they share with her the responsibility for the general welfare of the Congregation. Five members comprise the General Council.